Friday, January 30, 2015

Makeup Review: Physicians Formula, Maybeline


So i've been more obsessed with watching "get ready with me" or "whatevermonths favourite" videos on youtube lately, and of course that got me to start wanting to try a few products that people have mentioned.

Since I can't/don't want to spend too much money on unnecessary items, I decided to try some drugstore brand items first. I've tried many high end brands in the past, but for the past few years, i've basically stuck with the same-old items (which I can get to later, and probably will just to show what I use regularly - it's really REALLY minimal). Anyway, so i've never been much of a drugstore brand girl. I've never tried a drugstore foundation (that I know of) until this point, at least in this country - I think I've tried a few in Japan, however. So I was -REALLY- new to all of this. I've gone through the makeup aisles of course, but my collection is pretty minimal, and I'm pretty stuck in my ways, so unless something is -absolutely amazing- I won't be persuaded so easily.

But, of course being the lazy, yet not lazy when it comes to google person that I am, I of course had to check out all the reviews and videos I could, to find the best ones.

This first one, not being one of them. Ha.


Physicians Formula - Youthful Wear in Light - 14.95$ USD



I bought this at Fred Meyers (eugh, not a fan of these large super store type places), but it had a large variety of make up so I scoped it out. I saw one person (asian) that mentioned this, and she said it worked amazingly, so having that bit of assurance from someone else who may have the colour issue/skin type (she seemed to have the same skin type as me from her other videos), I thought I would enjoy it. A few other people had mentioned physicians formula being an amazing brand, and great for being drugstore, but dear god will I never take that recommendation again.


★☆☆☆☆ - 1 star

This foundation was so greasy and disgusting I felt like I was putting oil directly onto my face. I can't believe anyone would want to use this! I don't know if this is just the type of foundation this is, or if it's a normal thing, but i've never used a greasy foundation! Nevertheless, I tried it on for the day. Eugh. Gross. The colour was a little too dark, and the undertone didn't match me just right, it made me look, I dunno, dirty? Somehow, it was weird. The coverage was quite well, but the BB cream I had underneath for half of my face (to see how it worked with and without) was overly tinted, it was basically a light coverage foundation. Anyway, coverage and stay wise - sure, it's okay. But it does get into creases, and that greasy feeling - it doesn't leave you.




Physicians Formula - Mineral Wear Loose Powder - 12.95$ USD


Well, I wanted to try a powder to go along with the above liquid foundation.

Terrible mistake.


★★☆☆☆ - 2 stars

Okay, so the powder itself wasn't really bad. I mean, it set the foundation and kept it a little matte, but that quickly faded. (PROBABLY BECAUSE IT WAS SO GREASY) but the powder itself wasn't terrible. I mean, it was just loose powder IMO. -BUT- this ridiculous casing, however cute and handy with the little brush on top, is so difficult to use and the tiny brush is so hard to use because of the size. The powder literally gets everywhere, and I wasn't sure how to get it out nicely. I guess it's made for an "emergency" and to be compact and able to carry around or something, but I would never carry -loose- powder with me, so it rendered useless. Oh, and the colour... well, it's just a light colour, so it's sort of hard to mess this one up.






Maybelline New York - FIT me! Pressed powder - 7.99$ USD



I had read and saw on youtube that the fit me line was great (but I guess they just meant one specific product which is down below), so I wanted to try the powder since it was on sale, and I much rather have a pressed powder to carry around with me instead of a loose one.


★★☆☆☆ - 2 stars

Yeah, bad idea. The colour, like the physicians formula, was okay, but something about the undertone made me look dirty somehow. I guess it's too yellow it makes me look even more yellow? I'm not sure, but it looked bad. It didn't matter so much though, since there is literally no colour pay off unless you pack this baby on, and once you do, boy, can you tell. I used this on another day, separate from the loose powder and there was such a huge difference. I generally like using a pressed powder when i'm out, since I don't want to carry loose powder around with me, but I don't think I'd want to use this even as a back-up. I give this two stars, only because if you really just do a tiny bit, I don't think it would do much damage, but if you want any colour pay off at all, you'll pack it on and it'll get into any crease or crevasse and all those pores you've tried so hard to minimize with all those expensive products will look as big as ever. (Though that could be due to that terrible foundation...) 





Maybelline New York FIT me! Concealer - 6.49$ USD



One item on my list that many youtubers had actually mentioned for once (I know, what was the point of those other ones then).


★★★★☆ - 4/5 stars

Finally, something I didn't have to return.

So, from what I saw on youtube was that was a good dupe for the MAC concealer. I've never tried it since I have a thing against MAC and haven't been there since living in Japan, but I did use the Chanel concealer quite often and it's about equal, if not better than that in my opinion. (The chanel one tbh isn't that amazing, I mean it does it's job, but it wasn't that... concealing). This product on the other hand is really affordable and conceals great. It lasts pretty darn well too, so long as you have a good base. (I don't wear concealer alone which apparently is a thing?? so I can't say i've tested it out like that). The only reason I don't give it 5/5 is because I don't like the idea of putting a brush directly to my face. I prefer tubes or pumps or something that doesn't directly touch my skin - especially if you have acne or something to cover up and the whole cross contamination thing. I usually just put it on the back of my hand and dab it on from there, but I dunno, maybe that's the point.



As I was writing this I went out and bought two Kat Von D items and like 25$usd worth of on-sale Wet and Wild products, so i'll test those out. I don't mind buying cheap items like eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, lipstick and the sort so long as my base is nice looks good, which is why I put most of my money and emphasis on skin care, primer, and foundation rather than everything else. I've seen a lot of good reviews on certain Wet and Wild products, so i'm excited to see if they're as good as they say! I think I bought like, 5 eyeshadow palettes haha

Anyway starting from the bottom (price range) up, I guess!


P.S. I've compared the above items to the following items that i've been using regularly for too many years now:

Foundation: Chanel Perfection Lumiere
Loose Powder: Skin Food Peach Sake Silky Finish Powder / Chanel Universelle Libre 
Pressed powder: Chanel Poudre Universelle Compacte 
Concealer: Chanel Correcteur Perfection

I didn't realize it was mostly Chanel :v I guess i'm just a chanel girl when it comes to base makeup... :v


No comments:

Post a Comment